Where exactly is Patagonia? It is a region shared by Argentina and Chile at the southern tip of South America.
SmarTours, the tour operator for this amazing trip, will take us to Santiago, Punta Arenas, Torres del Paine, Perito Moreno Glacier, El Calafate and Buenos Aires.
The main trip will leave Houston October 17th and return October 26th. Also offered are a pre-trip to Easter Island (Oct. 12-18) and a post-trip in the wine region of Mendoza, Argentina (Oct. 24-28).
The main trip includes 7 nights lodging, 16 meals, airport transfers, and ground transportation. Here’s our action-packed itinerary:
- Day 1 the group leaves IAH and arrives in Santiago on day 2.
- Day 2 visiting the highlights of Santiago, such as Alameda, Cousino Palace, Central Market and San Cristobal Hill.
- Day 3 begins with a flight to Punta Arenas, the “city at the end of the world”. We will have lunch in Punta then continue our trip to Torres del Paine National Park where we will stay for 2 nights.
- Day 4 is spent in the National Park viewing waterfalls, rivers, lakes, and mountains.
- Day 5 we board our motorcoach and cross the border into Argentina to the town of El Calafate where we spend 2 nights.
- Day 6 takes us to the Patagonian Continental Ice Field of Perito Moreno Glacier returning to El Calafate for dinner and a night of leisure.
- Day 7 we fly to Buenos Aires to our 5* hotel in the Recoleta neighborhood for 2 nights with a day and a half to see the sights of Buenos Aires!
The pre-trip offered CHANGED get details from Sarah NOW departs IAH on October 12th arriving in Santiago
The post trip offered is to Mendoza, Argentina, the home of the Malbec grape. The group will leave Buenos Aires for a short flight to Mendoza where they will stay at the Hotel Diplomatic with views of the Andes Mountains. The afternoon includes a tour of the city described as a “green city in a desert”. Day 2 is visiting wineries with a wine expert which includes lunch at a winery. Day 3 you can opt for a half-day hike or spend time in Mendoza at your leisure. A flight will leave in late afternoon for IAH via Santiago.
This is a busy itinerary; however if you have dreams of spending your time in different ways in Patagonia and the cities of Chile and Argentina, there are optional tours at additional cost. Some options are ice trekking, horseback riding, boat rides, wine tasting, tango lessons, cooking lessons, bike rides, and hiking!
Airfare includes the round trip flight to South America and the 2 internal flights.
Full trip cost is $4,249. Contact Sarah for land only price as 2 internal flights also need to be made.
A deposit of $300 is due upon sign-up.
Handouts detailing daily itineraries will be available at General Meetings.
TC – Sarah Granbery